December is the one month where I indulge myself with all of the cookies, cakes and candies, that I usually limit the rest of the year. I have so many wonderful memories spent with my mom in the kitchen making cookies, candy, and cakes for our family and to share with our neighbors and friends. So with the beginning of this month, I am going to pull out some of our favorites and share them with you! I hope you enjoy them and maybe one or two will become family favorites of yours too.
This first recipe is for a Candy Cane sprinkled Angel food cake. It is light, cool, and a perfect dessert for this time of year.
Angel Food cake mix
- 16 oz container of Cool Whip
- Green and Red food coloring
- White frosting (recipe to follow)
- 6 candy canes coursely crushed
– Make the Angel Food Cake, according to package directions. Baking in an angel food cake pan.
– The package said to remove the cake from the oven and invert it immediately on a bottle. I remember when Mom and I did this there was always a Coke bottle to use, but we don’t buy Coke bottles anymore, so an empty wine bottle will have to do!
– After the cake cools completely, remove from the pan. Using a sharp serrated knife or electric knife, cut the cake horizontally twice, to make 3 relatively even cake layers. (I used an electric knife)
– Make white frosting according to the below recipe
– Separate the Cool Whip into two bowls. Add red food coloring to one bowl and green to the other. (I used food coloring gel and quite a bit of the color to get the green and red in my picture) Stir well to mix coloring into the Cool Whip.
– Place the first layer of cake on the cake plate and spread the Red colored Cool Whip over the layer
– Place the next layer on top of the cake and spread the Green Cool Whip on top of that layer.
– Place the last layer of cake on the top and fill the middle hole with colored Cool Whip
– Once the cake is frosted, sprinkle crushed Candy Canes on the top.